By Elizabeth Casalnova
If you’re looking to pack a quick lunch or dinner on your busiest day, taco salad is a great option, as it is both simple and customizable. My recipe is more basic than others, so experiment with different vegetables, toppings and spices. This recipe tastes amazing when it is topped with homemade guacamole. You can even eat it with tortilla chips. The possibilities are endless!
-1 lb lean ground beef (or turkey)
-1 medium onion
-1 cup of brown rice, cooked
-1 bell pepper
-1/2 cup corn
-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
-1/2 tsp paprika
-1/2 tsp cumin
-1 tsp chili powder
-Salt and pepper to taste
-Cilantro to taste
1.In a large bowl with a tight-fitting lid, bring the rice to a rolling boil.
2. Reduce the heat and allow it to simmer for about 25-30 minutes, or until all the water has been absorbed.
3. Meanwhile, season the beef with chili powder, salt pepper, cumin and cayenne powder. Cook over medium high heat until it’s completely browned.
4. Put the beef in a large bowl and add the corn to the same pan, sprinkling it with chili powder.
5. Cook on medium heat until it’s slightly charred, then add it to the bowl with the beef.
6. Dice the onion, pepper and tomato, and add it to the bowl. Mix in the rice and cilantro, and enjoy!