At 1:30 p.m. the College’s students were notified via text message that PSE&G, the College’s gas and electric provider, had given the all clear to return to evacuated buildings. Classes resumed at 2 p.m. and all buildings and parking lots were re-opened.
Students, staff and faculty were reminded to “exercise caution entering and leaving campus.” The warning was due to emergency vehicles and high volumes of traffic as roads and buildings were being re-opened.
The initial leak was caused by a contractor working for the College who hit one of the campus gas pipes near 1971 Pennington Road, according to PSE&G’s corporate communications and media relations assistant Annette Hicks.
“PSE&G was notified of the leak at 11 a.m.,” Hicks said. PSE&G crew arrived 10 minutes later and the area was made safe by 12:50 p.m.
“We currently have crews making repairs on the line,” Hicks said.
Hicks explained that today’s gas leak was entirely unrelated to the gas leak and explosion at a condo complex in Ewing, N.J., on Tuesday, March 4.