By Shannon Deady
A pre trick-or-treat party was a Halloween tradition in my neighborhood when I was growing up. It was the best way for parents to ensure we had something substantial in our bellies before filling up on candy for the rest of the night. Each family prepared their best fall-themed treat, and my mother collected the recipes.
I’m not quite sure from whom it came, but this is how our family’s favorite pumpkin roll recipe came to be. It has since been passed down to me to bake and share with friends at school.
This dessert is a guaranteed hit every October, especially for pumpkin and cream cheese icing lovers. It is a great way to put your baking skills to the test and is well worth the effort.
Makes: 1 roll (8 servings)
²?³ cup pumpkin
¾ cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
Cream Cheese Filling:
8 oz Philadelphia Cream Cheese
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients for the pumpkin roll and beat thoroughly in large mixing bowl.
- Grease cookie sheet and line well with waxed paper before spreading dough in pan. Once spread, bake in oven for 15 minutes.
- While the pumpkin roll is baking, beat filling ingredients in a small mixing bowl and set aside for later.
- Take roll out of oven, place on clean dish towel, and roll up before placing in refrigerator for one hour or freezer for 15 minutes.
- Take out and unroll. Spread filling evenly before rerolling.
- Optional: dust roll with powdered sugar before serving or storing in the refrigerator.