By Erin Shaffer
During this period of self quarantine, it has become increasingly difficult to just run to the store and pick up ingredients for meals. Many believe that frozen food or a bowl of cereal are their only options, but there are actually some really creative and delicious meals that can be made from ingredients that are already in your kitchen cabinet. It may feel like there is not much to celebrate right now, but cooking is a great way to keep you both occupied and satisfied.
Pasta primavera may seem like an intimidating meal that can’t just be whipped up for a quick dinner, but it is actually very simple. Fresh or frozen vegetables will work well for this dish, depending on what you have available. Adding some protein, typically either chicken or shrimp, can also help elevate this dish. Customize your pasta with whatever vegetables you enjoy!
– 1 ½ cup penne pasta
– ¼ cup asparagus
– ¼ cup zucchini
– ¼ cup broccoli
– ¼ cup onion
– 3 tablespoons butter
– 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
– 2 tablespoon lemon juice with a teaspoon of lemon zest
– ½ cup vegetable broth
– ¼ cup heavy cream
- ) Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add salt and pasta to boiling water. Cook for 11 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain pasta and add back to pot.
- ) Meanwhile, add olive oil to a large skillet and start to add your vegetables. Sauté until the vegetables are tender. Move vegetables to a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- ) Using the same skillet, add your butter and let it melt. Then add the chopped garlic and let it cook for 2 minutes, followed by the lemon zest and vegetable broth. Allow this to simmer until the broth reduces by about half. This should take 4-5 minutes. Then add both the heavy cream and lemon juice to your skillet.
- ) Combine your vegetables, pasta and and sauce in your pot, and make sure everything is mixed well. Add any seasonings like salt, pepper, basil or crushed red pepper flakes to spice up the finished product. Finally, serve and enjoy!